(19) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (io) Pub. No.: US 2004/0167580 Al
Mann et al. (43) Pub. Date: Aug. 26,2004
(54) METHOD FOR DETECTING, DIAGNOSING, AND TREATING CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE
(76) Inventors: Brian Mann, Beverly Hills, CA (US);
James S. Whiting, Los Angeles, CA
(US); Neal L. Eigler, Pacific Palisades,
KNOBBE MARTENS OLSON & BEAR LLP
2040 MAIN STREET
IRVINE, CA 92614 (US)
(21) Appl. No.: 10/697,960
(22) Filed: Oct. 29, 2003
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation of application No. 10/698,031, filed on Oct. 29, 2003, which is a continuation-in-part of application No. 10/127,227, filed on Apr. 19, 2002, which is a continuation of application No. 09/956, 596, filed on Sep. 19, 2001, now abandoned, which is a continuation of application No. 09/481,084, filed on Jan. 11, 2000, now Pat. No. 6,328,699.
(60) Provisional application No. 60/470,468, filed on May 13, 2003.
(51) Int. CI.7 A61N 1/365
(52) U.S. CI 607 17
A method of treating cardiovascular disease in a medical patient is provided. The method includes the steps of generating a sensor signal indicative of a fluid pressure within the left atrium of the patient's heart, and delivering an electrical stimulus to a location in the heart. The electrical stimulus is delivered based at least in part on the sensor signal. The method also includes the steps of generating a proccessor output indicative of a treatment to a signaling device. The processor output is based at least in part on the sensor signal. At least two treatment signals are provided to the medical patient. The treatment signals are distinguishable from one another by the patient, and are indicative of a therapeutic treatment. The treatment signals are based at least in part on the processor output.