McDonell XF-85 Goblin

rygaku

050324-F-1234P-016.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F898z4PkKuk  Test flight. 

mcdonell-douglas-xf-85-goblin-2.gif

mcdonnell-xf-85-goblin.png

McDonnell XF-85 Goblin Wingspan: 21 feet 1-1/2 inches, folded: 5 feet Length: 16 feet 3 inches Wing Area: 90 square feet Maximum Unhook Weight: 4550 pound Proposed Armament: 4x 50 caliber machine guns Powerplant: 3,000 pound J34-WE-22 turbojet

The McDonnell XF-85 Goblin, the smallest jet-propelled fighter ever built, was a "parasite" designed to be dropped from a bomber, perform its mission and return to the mother ship.

The Goblin was egg shaped and its wings -- swept back 37 degrees -- could fold upward. It had no landing gear, but was launched from the bomber and recovered using a hook and a retractable trapeze under the parent airplane. For emergencies, the Goblin had a steel skid under the fuselage and small runners on its wingtips.

The tiny fighter was stable, easy to fly and recovered well from spins. However, hooking the Goblin in flight to its bomber's trapeze was difficult. McDonnell built two prototype Goblins, and one joined the collection at the U.S. Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio.

I know they will never add this in game but still its just something i wanted to share. 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Wow.

I agree that it probably won't be added(simply because I have no idea how they would do the whole bomber drop off and reattach thing) but it looks pretty cool.

You use it as a view and the bomber goes into auto pilot when controlling it, and vice versa. I made a thread about this a LONG time ago so I know a lot of the mechanics it could work like. 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Wow.

I agree that it probably won't be added(simply because I have no idea how they would do the whole bomber drop off and reattach thing) but it looks pretty cool.

The B29 drops you off you  and you do your thing to protect it while shooting people down and try to get attached to the tow cables to get loaded back in or dragged around.

Landing the thing is impossible because well there is no landing gear and the pilot would have to bail if his only means of landing is destroyed the B29. All in all you can't land this thing on ground

or you will make a nice explosion. 

I dont think it was really designed for the B29 though, in operational use the B36 would have been used. And in any case its BR would dictate it facing MiGs most likely, and you wouldnt have a hope in that thing,

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal

I dont think it was really designed for the B29 though, in operational use the B36 would have been used. And in any case its BR would dictate it facing MiGs most likely, and you wouldnt have a hope in that thing,

It was mainly designed for bomber protection and even still i can see it some what in game as a module for one of the bombers that it was designed for. 

I have only seen 1 photo of proof of flight with a B-36 carrying the XF-85, yet many showing the B-29 carrying it. It would be more historical to be added in the B-29 (and we are not getting the B-36 anyway) 

Well guess US players want there own version of the ME163/Ki-200...

[spoiler]but with that I mean not rocket powered planes but how the odds for a save landing are. :crazy: [/spoiler]

medal medal medal medal

Well guess US players want there own version of the ME163/Ki-200...

[spoiler]but with that I mean not rocket powered planes but how the odds for a save landing are. :crazy: [/spoiler]

For rocket power, look no further than the XF-91 with a rocket booster similar to the Me 262s. 

300px-XF91-21republic.jpg

(It goes 1,584km/h and was flown in 1949)

Edited by ustinodj

Well other noted parasite aircraft

Arado E.381 // never really left the planning stages even the ME 328 but even re-purposed again it was called a suicide fighter. 

Arado_234%2B381_parasite_aircraft.jpg

Yokosuka MXY7 Ohka 

MXY7_Ohka_Cherry_Blossom_Baka_Ohka-11.jp

Zveno variant parasite fighters

zvenoas_1.jpg

Republic F-84E Thunder jet 

F-84E_of_9th_Fighter-Bomber_Squadron_in_

All around, the Goblin's a pretty crummy jet. It made a lot of sacrifices to be small enough to be carried by the B-29 in tests (and the B-36 was meant to be the carrier in operational use) only for it to turn out that docking with the bomber once dropped was nearly impossible and that its performance was vastly worse than the enemy fighters that it would face. 

I guess it might fit as a lower BR jet, but it definitely isn't my favorite. 

All around, the Goblin's a pretty crummy jet. It made a lot of sacrifices to be small enough to be carried by the B-29 in tests (and the B-36 was meant to be the carrier in operational use) only for it to turn out that docking with the bomber once dropped was nearly impossible and that its performance was vastly worse than the enemy fighters that it would face.

I guess it might fit as a lower BR jet, but it definitely isn't my favorite.

I was thinking of it being a B-29 modification and controllable like a gunner. (Of course increasing B-29s BR with mod installed if needed) Edited by ustinodj

I was thinking of it being a B-29 modification and controllable like a gunner. (Of course increasing B-29s BR with mod installed if needed)

EB-29, an experimental plane with no bombs and IIRC no guns. A problem!

• 4 months later...